+2
Bear
Autocrat
6 posters

Go down

Beginners' Help Empty Beginners' Help

Post by (Colour)Arrow Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Should we set up like a equipment / supplies for new clan members to use? Like low level equips.

YellowArrow
(Colour)Arrow
(Colour)Arrow

Back to top Go down

Beginners' Help Empty Re: Beginners' Help

Post by Autocrat Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:15 pm

If someone wants to help someone out like that then sure. But actually organizing hand outs is not something i believe in.

We used to give gear out for pking worth like 200k for clan pk trips. And people would take those and log out.

So not really something i am in favour of.
Autocrat
Autocrat

Beginners' Help IIyCd

Spide

Back to top Go down

Post by (Colour)Arrow Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:25 pm

Ok. I see. I just thought with Android and iOS coming online, there will be a surge of players that will start again. And perhaps we can get a hold of that and use it to clan advantage
(Colour)Arrow
(Colour)Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Bear Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:26 pm

I agree with Auto. I like the enthusiasm to help support the influx of new players we're gonna see, but being able to freely leave the cc once you get your stuff doesn't encourage much retention. Kind of like the recent Amazon/Twitch/RuneScape promotion. You sign up for a free trial of Amazon/Twitch Prime and you can link your RuneScape account to get a free 30-day membership.
While there's the small, select group that will also see the benefits of Amazon/Twitch Prime and choose to stay, realistically most people are going to be getting the free 30-day membership and then cancelling the trial before they're charged for it. Razz

Like I said though, I can definitely appreciate the sentiment of wanting to help out all the cute lil noobs we're gonna run into and we absolutely encourage our members helping out when and where they deem fit, but we also don't wanna see anyone getting taken advantage of. Keep up that helpful attitude though, it's a good one to have Smile

AKA OSRS Advice

AKA Bearadomin

AKA Bearrows

AKA King Bear

Bear
Bear

Beginners' Help OTXfGgg

Back to top Go down

Post by (Colour)Arrow Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Lol I cannot log in. Internet so slow right now....
(Colour)Arrow
(Colour)Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Enty Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Hey,

interesting suggestion, thanks for bringing it up.
If Oldschool had a cool lending system this could really be useful to new members, especially for equipment that is hard to afford but can really help with certain quests or bosses.

Unfortunately, as it was already mentioned, free giveaways often lead to exploits where people would just take these sets and never return
Without a working lending system it is very hard to police this

I am very happy that you've started this discussion so please
continue with it if you have any further ideas on how to implement this I love you

Beginners' Help Lumbridge

Beginners' Help Workin10

Beginners' Help Enty
Beginners' Help Enty
Beginners' Help Enty
Beginners' Help Enty
Enty
Enty

Beginners' Help YP5zkAJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ladybird2 Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:44 am

My belief is that, whilst it seems a bit sad when you start, to see others with all the bright shiny new toys, setting your heart on achieving them by your own efforts is the most rewarding part of the game, and more likely to create long term players. I have given items to people in the past, for them to quit only a while later. We do encourage people to learn the skills to build their account.
Short boring story alert............
way back in rs2 a bright new player wanted a hand out and asked for advice. My advice was fish.........and he did every day, and his cash stack grew, and he did more and more things.and I gave him an obby cape for Christmas because we became friends.......and he swapped it for a 99 fishing cape, I don't know who was more delighted, him or me. His sister embarrassed him by telling me he called his hamster after me............buy a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime. I agree with your sentiment, and we do have some very generous clannies, who have not forgotten what it was like to struggle at first, and do help out, but advice and encouragement to my mind is just as valuable for a long term player.
ladybird2

Beginners' Help NuD0cpJ

ladybird

Back to top Go down

Post by Bing Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:49 pm

ladybird2 wrote:My belief is that, whilst it seems a bit sad when you start, to see others with all the bright shiny new toys, setting your heart on achieving them by your own efforts is the most rewarding part of the game, and more likely to create long term players. I have given items to people in the past, for them to quit only a while later. We do encourage people to learn the skills to build their account.
Short boring story alert............
way back in rs2 a bright new player wanted a hand out and asked for advice. My advice was fish.........and he did every day, and his cash stack grew, and he did more and more things.and I gave him an obby cape for Christmas because we became friends.......and he swapped it for a 99 fishing cape, I don't know who was more delighted, him or me. His sister embarrassed him by telling me he called his hamster after me............buy a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime. I agree with your sentiment, and we do have some very generous clannies, who have not forgotten what it was like to struggle at first, and do help out, but advice and encouragement to my mind is just as valuable for a long term player.

Absolutely fantastic story. You only get to be a brand new player exploring it all for the first time once.
Bing

Beginners' Help NuD0cpJ

kermit

Back to top Go down